Our Family 2014

Our Family 2014

Thursday, February 27, 2014

An Aching Heart

It's so hard to put into words what I am thinking and feeling.

All that has been happening in the homeland of my children and (prayerfully) future children has been nothing less than heart wrenching. Last week things took a sharp turn for the worse as war appeared to have broken out against the people of this country who dared to speak up for their rights. It was ugly and incredibly sad. As the reports continue to reveal more I find myself in disbelief on how barbaric the police actions were. I won't allow myself to minimize what PTSD really is but I can say that even from a very far distance from this government collapse and mass murdering of last week, today's news of more murders and turmoil have quickly effected me...I seriously feel like I could just vomit.
 
I have been praying and pleading to God to intervene on behalf of the people of this country. I have been following the news closely and have just cried over all of this injustice. I have also celebrated over the victories and praised God for His clear intervening. I have been hopeful and watching, as I continue to pray. I do not make light of what has happened and what is still happening but as the dust began to settle a bit there were these other thoughts and feelings that I have wrestled with; they are about our son(s).

The fact that things are so grievous and uncertain for a great many of people...people who we call friends, people in the homeland of 5 of our children, people we feel a connection to...does not take away from this aching and yearning that has led us to step out in faith to adopt. However, I have felt guilty about having these feelings...although, maybe as I type that is changing.

I have felt guilty because my desires to adopt (or otherwise) is not the center of the universe and certainly not even on the scale of importance when it comes the lives (living, breathing, freedoms, and basic human rights) of the people in the country we feel led to adopt from. Although, as I type this it occurs to me that while that is absolutely true what is equally important is the lives of the children who sit in orphanages, including those that God may have called to be our sons. What happens in that country will determine the fate of all those orphan children. The country that wants to invade and take over is known for their neglect and abuse of their orphan children and for using these children's as pawns in a political game. If my children are waiting for us there then I should absolutely care and ache to bring them home; after all, we believe that it is by God's leading that we even began this adoption journey again.

I asked my husband the other day what we will do if things shutdown and we cannot adopt from this country. I believe his answer was, "Nothing." I didn't like it and chose not to further discuss it because it doesn't matter right now. That's not a crossroad we are at, but the truth is, this is the direction I strongly feel called to. I don't feel called to another country. I almost wish I did. I almost wish I just felt called to adopt boys from wherever but currently that is not the situation. I can't predict the future, that could change and maybe this is just where God wants us right now; I really don't know. What I do know is this is where God has called us and we need keep our eyes on Him. He has chosen our children before we were born. He has chosen this family to be brought together through adoption before we were born. We cannot just pick and choose, we need to trust.

So last week Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday were the worst days of this 3+ month long revolution thus far, yet somehow in the midst of bloody attacks and chaos, DHL delivered our documents on time to our translator who lives in that very city! I still cannot comprehend how that happened. Seriously, there is no way that would have happened in America.

Before Tuesday of last week we were told that our dossier should be submitted today. Of course everything stopped last week when the government was collapsing. Amazingly, the government is being rebuilt and most were back to work on Monday, including the government adoption center. Yesterday we were told that it is expected that our dossier will still be submitted today. No further delays after all of that? That would be incredible! So we wait for the news one way or the other.

I am sharing all of this to not only bring you up to speed on our adoption (which is all about one step at a time and just trusting God for the outcome) but to also let you know that if I speak (or post) about my aching heart for my boy(s) it does not lessen my concern for what is happening in their country, but maybe you know that. Maybe I am just being hard on myself. It really doesn't have to be an either or situation...I can care deeply about both no matter how intertwined the situations may be.

Prayerfully today we will be one big step closeer!

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment